Tuesday, October 25, 2011

To My Son

Thirty years ago today I was wondering what parenthood would be like and who you would turn out to be. My only concern was that my child would be healthy, strong, and capable of taking on the world. I could only wish for my little baby to grow into the man that you have become. You have made a beautiful family, created a warm home, and use your brain in amazing ways on a daily basis. In 30 years that perfect baby I held in my arms became something more than I could imagine. Saying that I am proud to be your mother is an understatement.


Some of my favorite memories of your childhood were the times we spent reading together. I read to you before you were born, when you were just a baby, and when you were a toddler curled up next to me on the couch. I remember being in awe when I discovered that you had memorized where every picture in your first wordbook was and could easily flip to whatever item I asked you about. I had no idea that your love of reading would become what it is today or that you would be able to continue to amaze me with your thirst for knowledge.

When you were in elementary school, you befriended two boys that did not speak a word of English. They had no friends and were having a hard time fitting in. You took it upon yourself to talk with them and give them a friend among all the strange faces in their new school. Your warm heart made it easy for you to make friends, but it also made you someone that everyone wanted to be friends with. You had a wonderful group of friends in high school and a wonderful group of friends in college. It is comforting to know that you were and continue to be surrounded by caring, responsible, and loyal friends. I hope they will continue to be around for the next 30 years of your life.


I always thought that you were going to be a pediatrician when you grew up. Not because you were always so smart, but because you were always so great with kids. From Jack to Will and Matt, you knew how to connect with kids in the most loving and fun way. Though you didn’t become that kind of doctor, you did become the most amazing father that my perfect grandson could ever have. Watching you talk to him and hold him and prepare his food almost brought tears to my eyes. Noah is so lucky to have you as his father.


I love you so much, Chris. Thank you for being my wonderful son. Happy 30th Birthday!

Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment