Monday, October 24, 2011

Happy Birthday from Gail

What a joy to get to share some thoughts with you on this milestone birthday! I've thought for several days about what I might share with you. You...who writes so beautifully, capturing with perfect words what I want to say.

I thought about writing about the first time we met you....all nervous at meeting Elizabeth's parents. It seemed so strange that we could make someone anxious about meeting Keith and me. We've always tried to be so welcoming to her friends. After dinner I realized you were interested in her much more than as a friend.....a rather duanting feeling as I knew she was also not seeing you as another "friend".

Or I could I could write about all the thank you notes you would send after every time we would go somewhere until I finally said "no more". But I was impressed by your impeccable manners.

Maybe I should tell you about the excitement tinged with sadness in Keith's voice when he called to tell me you had asked our permission to marry our precious only child and our delight in giving our wholehearted approval.

Perhaps you need to know that I still remember the look on your face when she appeared at the back of the church on her Daddy's arm. I wanted to see your face as she walked into her new life with you. Your look was so tender, so excited, so evident that she was your special partner.

Or maybe the memory I need to share is how nurturing and caring you were all the months she was expecting Noah. How you cooked and
cared for her while she cared for my growing grandson.

Or the holiness of the moment when I entered the delivery room shortly after Noah's birth.....I remember needing to take off my shoes as the
moment was so profound.

So very many memories ......the lake, conversations about books, politics, faith, cooking. So many hours together, getting to know a little bit
more about you each time and knowing also there is so much more to learn. You are a deep, private, gifted man and I am blessed to have
you as my "son". I think Noah's birth has helped us "get" each other better. Nothing like the experience of parenthood to give you a wider
view of your own relationship with your parents ( or parents-in-law).

May the next chapters of your life hold more joy than sadness, more advances than setback, more laughter than tears and may you always
hold Elizabeth closest in your heart. I read somewhere that the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. Thank you
for making that your very best accomplishment.

All my love,
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment