Friday, October 28, 2011

Happy Birthday - Rick

Dear Chris ,

You are a worldchanger married to a worldchanger raising little wordchanger.  What a great age u are my genius friend -  to carve out a life / to raise children in a legacy of following Christ and caring for others / to show your children how Eliz is a Gift from God to hold / to cherish / to love.

The Canvass of Chris Tison has been a work in progress.  But there is so much painting to do in the decade to come.  God has given u so many gifts that if u look back on your life as a freshmen – u would have gasped to see what God has in store. 

But he still has a lot in store with you.  Maybe u will cure cancer / maybe u will discover some medicine that staves off world poverty.     But u have already changed so many people.  You changed your campus ministry with our great talks in my office / u in the red chair me behind the desk.  There were times I thought we should change position for God gave u a mind I have rarely seen or encountered. 

Got to admit seen about 8 in 25 years --- but you and one other have used your mind for god / to discover God / to serve God …Where others have gotten cocky or high and mighty u are still  the kid who introduced me to Sam the Crippled. 

I have it hanging in my office.  I make Big Saps memorize it.  I teach it whenever I do retreats because it is so much the gospel – and it describes you.  You  are the horse that sam rode – that gave him joy / that noticed him /  that made him forget about his travails.

“GLAD THERE ARE HORSES LIKE THAT ON THIS ISLAND .  BECAUSE WHEN SAM WAS ON THE HORSE – SAM THE CRIPPLED SPROUTED WINGS AND FLEW. “

Love you man – keep helping others sprout wings and fly,

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment